Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week 1

The village that I was live in has once tar road. The other roads are all dirt roads, “the dirt reminds me of LUBBOCK, TX”. In-between every other house there is an alley or pathway to the next street. The blocks are situated like many developed neighborhood in the U.S. What is different are the cows, chickens and goats that roam aimlessly. No dog tags on the cow’s, I wonder how the residents know who’s cow is who's.




Another difference that I have noticed is the fact that in this village there is no waste management program. Most people burn their trash “Including aerosol cans, plastic bottle and aluminum foil”. Around dusk you can smell the trash burning and a thick fog covers the sky. Behind most of the house are backhouses. Backhouse - a 1-3 room house detached from the main house in the same compound, used for storage, and or extra sleeping space. Most compounds also contain an outhouse, “Not my house though”.
My mother introduced me to all of her family who stay relatively close. In a 1km distance her mother, sister in-law and aunt just to name a few.

Everyday for the next 8 weeks we are required to meet with our language group for 3 hours in the morning. Here is where we study





Inside a backhouse



Terri and Sn'e

No comments:

Post a Comment