Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Drive to The College

After we landed in Johannesburg the 54 of us along with are 2 tons of luggage...



piled onto a 60-passenger chartered bus, we headed northeast. At this time I had no idea where I was headed. “Am I going to a place without running water, AC and internet?” The entire ride I did not utter a word to anyone. This was due to the following:
1- I’m TIRED!!
2- I had a lot on my mind, leaving my car, friends, Iphone, Family
3- I’M IN SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!
Leaving Johannesburg I saw what looked like million rand (South Africa’s currency) homes. What was interesting about these homes was the 3 meter high concrete wall that surrounded the outside of the disorganized neighborhoods. I use the term disorganized because there was no apparent rhyme or reason in the placement of these homes. It was as if the houses fell out of the sky. What was clear, was the high-volt electric fences that sat on-top of the concrete walls. “This makes me feel really good about being in country, what message does this send to visitors of the South Africa or Peace Corps volunteers fresh off the plane… haha”.
2-hours later, we arrived at Ndebele College in Siyabuswa.



As we exited the bus we were greeted by 10 young adults clapping and singing. I later found out that these folks were native South Africans who will be our LCF’S (Language & Cultural Facilitators). These individuals will be facilitating our language & cultural sessions, “This was not made clear to us volunteers until many days later, so at the time I though the individuals clapping and dancing were residents of the college.”

No comments:

Post a Comment