Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Big Day!!!

The day I meet my Mother and Sister. From what I have been told they have been randomly selected. I don’t know a thing about my family or how far they live from the college. All I know Is that I will be living with the 2 of them for the next 7 weeks.

10 volunteers at a time we were seated in a room as we awaited out families to enter. I felt as if I was in an adoption office about to be taken far away. We waited patiently for 10 min. I don’t know if this was Peace Corps aim to have us sitting there in suspense or what. I had chills running down my spine and butterflies in my stomach. There was a lot of talk that most parents requested white Americans. Where does that put me? Honestly I was not to worried about that because the deal is sweet for the families they receive compensation via money for utilities and weekly food drops.


When the families walked in, you could just feel their energy. They were so happy to have an American come home with them. IT WAS LIKE CHRISTMAS!! Everyone wanted to be there.

Here is a picture of the room with the families on one side and volunteers on the other.





My name was called and then my mother’s, I stood up and ran over to give her a HUGE HUG!!! We held each-other and twirled around in circles. I wanted to show her that I was just as loving and caring as anyone else in the room, if not more. I could feel here spirit..

Here is a pic of my mom and I along with Dan and his mother, the two are neighbors.



After, our brief introduction “due to the language barrier” we proceeded to the adjacent room to fetch our food for the next 2 weeks.

Here is a pic of all the food.





Lettuce, Tomatoes, Canned Fish “a first for me”, Maze Meal, Spinach, apples, bananas, milk and chicken it was a lot of food to carry. My mother and I shared plenty of awkward smiles. My Zulu was not where it needed to be, but who’s was at week 2.

I did ask her some questions that she seemed to understand.
1. Do you have hot water?
Response – YEBO!! “Yes in Zulu”
2. Do you have electricity?
Response – YEBO!!
3. Do you have INSIDE TOILET?

Response – We have everything!!! Any thing you want!!

4. Microwave?
Yes, Yes

I know what your thinking, but hey can you blame me. I have been spoiled just like you!!

She then told me that my surname was, SHABANGU!!!

I asked my mother, "where is my sister?"

He reply, "Cleaning the house for you!!"

I smiled and said, "I cant wait to see her."



We waited outside for transport to my new home. I will be living in the village Ga –Phaahaa. The residents in this village speak Ndebele, from what I have been told its almost identical to ZuLu. Now how am I supposed to become fluent in a language when my host family does not speak it. This bothers me just a little bit knowing that 85 percent of the people living in rural villages in Kwa-Zulu Natal speak.. ZuLu. I will give it my all, I thrive in these situations!!

While we waited a dance group from my village put on a show for us, while we loaded up our bags and food. Attached is a video..






well give me a month and I will post it.. DATA is expensive.

My next blog I will post pictures of my house and more pics of my family.. Until Next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment