Friday, July 16, 2010

1ST DAY AT THE COLLEGE

After being greeted by our LCF’S we were shown to our rooms, 4ppl to a room. On my bed was a schedule, a letter from Peace Corps, blankets and a pillow. “ I mean I knew I was not going to get my own suit, but 4ppl, come on Peace Corps!!”




I introduced myself to my 3 roommates.

1. Danny Schoenfelder – From New Jersey earned his B.S and M.E in Civil Engineering from Carnegie Mellon.

2. Zack Smith – From Boston Mass earned his degree in International studies from a small school in Maine. He also just completed a year of teaching English in thailand.

3. Christian Stillson – From Pittsburg earned his B.S from Drexel University
After our short exchange it was time for dinner. The 54 of us marched out of the dorms into the mess hall, “This reminded me of summer camp/undergrad living on campus.” I ate with my new friends, scrapping the plate.

Here is a pic of Danny, Me and Zach!





Here is what I ate for my first real meal in South Africa MINUS THE PAP!!!




There is a traditional dish call PAP made from maze meal. I am not a fan of it, but supposedly it grows on you. And mother, it is acceptable to eat with your hands in South Africa, I asked!!! After dinner we retired to our rooms. By this time everyone was exhausted so we called it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment