Saturday, August 7, 2010

Week 2

Nothing special going on here more language. It’s Women’s month here in South Africa. What a great concept, women have a whole month of August dedicated to them. I asked my mother what happens during this month, she replied with, “O, Nothing, it’s nice”. My host mother’s first name is Eln. She sells candy, chips and other sweets at one of the local schools.

Here is a picture of her and one of the students.

















Here is a picture of the candy she sells.




I help her package the candy so she can sell it the next day. Some nights she would stay up till 12am packaging candy, so I began helping her package candy, with my help she is done by 9:30.

Here is a picture of us working together.





We watch T.V. as a family. It seems that a lot of my peers spend a lot of time with their host families watching Soap Operas. The favorites are The Bold and the Beautiful, Generations and 7 De Laan. Most of these are either in English or Afrikaans. We watch the news as well. The news comes on 4 times a night, in a different language every time. If you are unaware South Africa has 11 official Languages, I guess the other 7 are not that important

No comments:

Post a Comment